Advertisements

RYK MCHORAJI EXPRESSING HIMSELF THROUGH ART

 Ryk mchoraji is quickly becoming a household name with his unique designs on sneakers,tee-shirts.I had a chat with him

FGK: In what style or trend do you classify yourself?
Ryk:Contemporary African Street Fashion

FGK:  When did you start custom making shirts/shoes?
Ryk:Started Tshirts in high school some time in 2003 I did my first sneaks in 2004.


FGK:  what inspired you to start doing customs?
Ryk:I like being me, an individual so the best way to express this to the people without having
to open my mouth is by how I present myself..via fashion, art.

FGK:  are you planning on getting an office job?(if you don’t already have one) or this does it for you?
  Ryk:I have worked in a formal setting when still in campus in Amref Kenya as a supervisor in a youth programme art field, did well for my age then. I immediately got a job just as I finished campus at the formerly known as ‘R.M.S Kenya’ as a research field supervisor and got enrolled at Barclays Bank as a Sales and Marketing Rep. I enjoyed my first two experiences but I didn’t get to go out to the field as a Barclays Kenya employee, I instead decided to take the risk and follow my heart, into who and what I am now, a budding
Fashion Rebel.





FGK:  What are your clients like?
 Ryk:I like people with guts, I don’t talk much so it kinda hard to get to know me but my uni*sociology* made me realize that Kenyans are very conservative when it comes to self expression through fashion especially the matured. I therefore offer these such wanting clientele my services…where they get to keep their pride, their look but show they are they too can dare to go out and try new looks.
I however target small enterprises, tour firms, personalities and young leaders who are ready for new ideas and are confident enough to express it on themselves.

FGK: Clients do not always know what they want. How do you correctly interpret their comments and requests?
 Ryk:There are two approaches to that. 1. Do as they ask. 2. Make them ask for what you offer.
I often go for no. 2.
Its stressful dealing with specifications from than to offer them then let them choose.
I therefore try as much as possible to bring new techniques and finishing to my product then give the client a chance to choose what they feel represents them, thus I have evaded not delivering what they didn’t know they wanted by giving them what they thought I just as brilliant.



FGK:  What trends do you see gaining momentum at the moment?
  Ryk:I actually can’t be specific. I’m very much into music and sport so the clientele I get come with very different tastes from Goth to Reggae and African but to the point, the Punk look is really catching up!! People are going all out on color and textures. I like!!!



FGK: What magazines or websites do you follow to keep up to date? What other types of cultural inputs serve as sources of inspiration for you?
   Ryk:I'm very keen on all the local fashion publications!! True Love Magazine, Adam Magazine, Passion Magazine, Vogue etc have been the foundation, which are somewhat contrary to my street look but I look at the fashion spreads to see the professionalism and quality that designers are maintaining. Kenyans are really trying to keep up with the global look and season change by releasing collections on a quartile basis. I'm influenced by MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC. I can’t work in silence, my clientele being mainly performing artists need really intense looks so getting in line with the vybe they are sending requires me to be in line with their work so I can to get they personalities and thus my result…..their look.



FGK: What role does technology play in your business? Do you believe that you are
where you need to be technologically speaking?
Ryk: Technology has made me who I am today, If it wasn’t for my mobile phone, Ryk Mchoraji would have been none-existent. Internet marketing and social media has been the forefront of my marketing strategy. Its very affordable and with this modern day Kenya Data rivalry, the services get faster and more reliable.
Safaricom has made be able to transact with my clients safely and with least inconvenience.
The Media has been very supportive with exposes back to back for the last six months and they still are asking for more, so that has greatly been to my advantage.I still I'm not where I need to be in terms of equipment to better my product and increases production speed. Getting a good embroidery machine, good airbrush, computers,printing machines and sewing machine in this city will cost you an arm, plus the other,
your legs too!! Too expensive, but ill get there one day.




FGK:  What is your concept of fashion? Why does it change so much from one
 Ryk:culture to another or from one era to another?
1. To cover yourself
2. To express who u are without word
3. To show how interesting you can be with creativity
Fashion is part of life, culture. A simple cloth can dictate respect, a simple notch can introduce intrigue, color portrays mood, texture brings the feeling of depth…all these blended together can drown your emotion towards an individual, a total stranger, a partner, a colleague….anyone to make you want them, feel them and connect with them.













    Fashion changes so much because trends and social diversity progresses greatly with time. Simply because its human to revolt from the previous and run to the forward…you will run naked only because you see a blanket on the other side and your parent is wearing a rug.






The shoes are amazing.More designs are available on the facebook page look for Ryk mchoraji
contact :
  • ryk254@gmail.com
  • 0724917959 Mobile
  • 0733335220
A Quote i got from Ryk  : It takes heart to Love, it takes will to create but it takes The Lord to Live.
Nothing beats that.


xoxo
Cynthia Mwangi

3 comments:

Unknown said...

great job Ryks. Felicitations!

PETER said...

Good interview Ryk, it shows your seriously working on your mission and vision. Great, keep it up a guy.

Unknown said...

thank you!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | ewa network review